Writing a dissertation has always been a difficult task and most agree with that. You need to approach it very thoughtfully, as a dissertation helps to define not only your academic but also your future success. By saying this, we mean that it’s not enough to just concentrate on the task to succeed, but also you need to know the dissertation structure, its basics, and main things to pay attention to or to avoid. This is a type of paper that requires high skill and deep knowledge of the subject matter.
Here we will walk you through our short guide in order to help you write a dissertation. We will give you some dissertation writing tips that will be handy for those who look for help writing a dissertation. You can also find helpful information on our website if you are looking for the, dissertation advice, thesis writing help, or thesis writing tips. So fasten your seatbelts, we’re taking off!
20 Tips For Dissertation Writing
- Don’t wait too long to start: People are used to thinking that this is the simplest part of the work, especially when the real work is done. But don’t overestimate writing, students usually struggle when it comes to analyzing all the data after the main research phase. Keep in mind that it’s never too early to start.
- Take notes: You will be recording the results of your researches in order to save time while searching for the needed information. And you will avoid the plagiarism by citing all sources of information. If you have any doubts about the originality of your work, you should use so as not to worry about it while defending your dissertation.
- Keep in contact with your advisor: Most people are afraid of showing their papers until they believe the work is done which could be a big mistake. It’s important to stay in touch with your advisor during the process of writing the dissertation. This will help you see the common mistakes and to see the text from another perspective.
- Dedicate enough time to the task: Make it part of your daily routine. Think that a single hour per day is a good habit just like going to the gym.
- Don’t be alone: You can form or join a dissertation writing group; your university even may have a special group dedicated to students who are in the process of writing a dissertation. This will be a good point for you as you will be able to show your paper to the others, share your opinion about some work, improve your speaking skills, or overcome some fears (if you have some). This is a good way to find inspiration and share your experiences.
- Don’t ask your friends about how much they’ve already done because this will only interrupt your progress as you will only think about their papers, comparing the results.
- Use humor and jokes but only if it is appropriate.
- Don’t be afraid of moving to another section if you get stuck: If you feel that you are currently stuck but there’s another section where you can be more effective at the moment – move to it. Don’t turn this into a habit, we should always be ready to work on the hard part.
- Don’t think that your first draft is your final draft: Write in order to rewrite different parts of the text. We all aim for perfection, this is ok.
- Don’t forget about resting: Eat well, feed your brain, try to avoid sleepless nights. You have to stay productive, which is impossible if you don’t get enough rest.
- Avoid getting stuck on introductions. It’s usually easier to create the main body of the chapters and then return to the introduction. This is a basic rule in as many people are used to getting stuck on the introduction and waste time while they aren’t sure what to write about.
- Focus on the task. Your results also depend on discipline, but the most important thing is to help your brain concentrate on the task and avoid multi-tasking.
- You may also think about changing your laptop/pc keyboard to hardcopy paper.
- Go for a walk: Let your brain breathe more – walking helps you to promote creativity. Give it a shot and you will be surprised with the result.
- Capture your thoughts: You will want to capture your thoughts during walks. You can use a small notepad or voice memo on your phone.
- Talk to the others: Tell your friend about your ideas, listen to their opinions or discuss your ideas with the teacher. This way you will be able to learn something new or ensure that you are on the right track with your paper.
- Set a deadline: Try to set them a bit earlier than the official deadline date. This will help you be more productive.
- Take breaks: it’s always good to take a little break as during the work our brain can get tired and that is why you are recommended to take short breaks from time to time in order to rest.
- Read your paper: You will likely find some hidden mistakes (logical or grammatical).
- Don’t be afraid to change your dissertation supervisor if he or she is not right. Do pay attention to your reasons, as they have to be valid (such as the supervisor isn’t able to give you appropriate advice, he or she is always busy, etc.) usually, the department will grant your request.
Here we tried to give you some tips for dissertation writing and we hope that these tips will help you to accomplish a high-level paper if you were stuck or confused. Also, we have some special offers for those who are looking for a reliable dissertation writing service. So be sure to check it out!